Seasonal Tomatoes - Shopping & CookingCheck out the San Francisco Chronicle article:
FAMILY HEIRLOOMS: Odd looking, completely delicious, these tomatoes jump out of the box.
Look for: Firm, full-colored, plump tomatoes. Avoid pale, spotted, mushy tomatoes.
Storage: If not ripe yet, put in a paper bag for a few days. If ripe, store stem-side down. Don't refrigerate unless already cut.
Uses: Raw in salads, sandwiches, and salsas, stuffed and baked, grilled, roasted, cooked for sauces/dressings. If serving raw, flavor is best close to room temperature.
- Cherokee purple tomatoes with fresh anchovies and chopped olives -- Michael Tusk at Quince
- King salmon "B.L.T", Marvel Stripe tomatoes, sweet corn, bacon, green olive tapenade -- John Clark & Gayle Pirie at Foreign Cinema
- Cornmeal-crusted fried green tomato & egg sandwich w/ arugula & garlic mayo on ciabatta -- Mark Gordon at Rose's Cafe
- Pork leg with shell beans, baked tomato, & summer savory -- Alice Waters at Chez Panisse
- Grilled rack of lamb w/ roasted eggplant, oven dried tomato & aioli -- Loretta Keller at Bizou
There are over 80 varieties of heirloom tomatoes at our local markets. Here is a sampling!
|KENTUCKY BEEFSTEAK||MARVEL STRIPE||ODORIKO|
|PINEAPPLE||PURPLE CALABASH||PURPLE CHEROKEE|
|RED STRIPE STUFFER||ROMAN CANDLE||YELLOW RUFFLE|
Thanks to Eatwell Farm, Balakian Farm and Lucero Organic Farm for the tomato models!